Tuesday, February 17, 2009

U-Blog 3

I had the opportunity to volunteer at the IT Create Computer Camp this past weekend. I found the experience to be quite satisfying in which I could help high school kids understand the components found inside of a laptop and allow them to see the options they have as far as operating systems and programs available that they might not have known about. One great example that I found was that hardly any of the high school students knew that Ubuntu (linux operating system) existed and were amazed at how easy it was to navigate and that they could still use programs such as Open Office to create their word documents, powerpoints, spreadsheets, etc. Pretty much everything that they could do from the Microsoft Office program. I think it is important to open up people to these sort of ideas because they are the future of our program and need to be kept up to date on what is out there that could potentially be the future of the IT industry.

1 comment:

  1. I was also there helping the high school students, they were very lucky to experiences such an amazing workshop (and they got a free laptop). They were exposed to things I never knew about till year ago. I thought it was unfortunate it that they did not know what Ubuntu was. By learning the "guts" they know understand how the computer works from the ground up, so now they won't think that their computer is some "magic box" that just appears on the screen. As long as there is money involved Linux won’t be the dominate OS because formats usually end up with proprietary software. But it’s good for them to have experienced a free alternative to Microsoft or Apple. A lot of their eyes lit up with amazement when they saw the capabilities of Ubuntu. I hope I can be a part of that camp next year.

    ReplyDelete