Monday, March 2, 2009

U-Blog 4

Discussing this last assignment we had about workshops, I felt the need to talk about public speaking. In my opinion, public speaking is an rare form to have in which very few people actually shine in. I know plenty of people who would not be caught dead on stage and tend to freeze when talking in front of a small group of people much less an auditorium. I think it is important to try to overcome these fears and to realize that all it is, is an presentation. Of course this presentation might be of some great importance and in some cases be worth something to someone, but it is important to realize that the speaker is up there for a reason, even if it is to pass the time. Alot of public speakers tend to be good at what they do because they understand the purpose of relaying the information to someone else. They feel that they can make a difference in someone else's life if they express their opinion about a current situation to others.
This is definitely the case for Pastors and Missionaries. Most people in religion will travel from one place to another just trying to reach out to others with what they have to say. Alot of them will say, "if I get through to one person, then I have fulfilled my purpose." In which they are not too far from the truth. Pastor Billy Graham, has taught religion to millions of people worldwide and allowing them to have a better understanding of Jesus Christ. Without him, there would probably still be plenty of people that were saved by him, lost. In other words I am just trying to throw an example or two about how important it is to have public speaking as an asset to yourself.
I guess this all goes back to Dr. Norris's presentation to the students at the Create IT computer camp workshop. He kept the students interested in what he had to say and made sure that he made his point across. I felt that this was an incredible asset to have and to change someone's understanding about IT. This was brought to my attention and helped me realize why I enjoy his classes so much and actually look forward to his class instead of something like my physics class in which i dread going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment